Saturday, July 9, 2016

Dancer Yoga 1 by Vicki Ross

What a fun product PaverPol is! I've had a quart of transparent PaverPol for ten years or so, waiting patiently for me to take time to discover it. I was fascinated when I first heard about it. Took me long enough! Being on their Creative Team gave me the incentive to play!



I love traditional sculpting, but did not pursue it beyond experimentation due to the high cost of foundry work, and storage, and, and. Want some cheese with that whine?

A full process video

A brief step-out instruction is below.

Materials:
Paverpol Bronze and Transparent
#14 gauge armature wire. I used a coat hanger but it was almost too stiff.
Masking Tape
Aluminum Foil
PaverPol Stockinette or old t-shirt and/or panty hose
Miscellaneous ribbon or trim
Some kind of base

STEP ONE:
Make armature. I used an articulating mannikin (Art S. Buck HERE). Even though mine was missing an arm, it gave me the ability to pose her AND use for measurements. Close, but no cigar :) Even though I researched armature lessons online, I still pretty much butchered mine. But, aluminum foil and tape hides many sins. I probably worked twice as hard as I could have. I sped up the video so you will be encouraged to follow an armature video instruction. Do as I say, not as I do. But that is the wonder of art! Jump in without a life preserver and see what happens.

I just did a quick search for anatomical models online and came up with several to choose from. It was a big help to have this little model right in front of me for visual measurements.
Figure out some way to hold your armature while you work on it. I held it, propped it up, and used the antique iron match holder depending on what I was doing.







STEP TWO:
I was thinking I could get a smooth, more sculpture like finish if I used panty hose. Yes and no. I quickly discovered that PaverPol is designed to be a more textured surface. Cut the fabric into 1" or so wide pieces. Stir the PaverPol very good. Pour into a smaller container, then put the lid back on the main container. It doesn't take too much, and you can always refill!

I started by dipping the end into the PP, then wrapping once around the leg. With an old brush, i then brushed more until the fabric was saturated. Wrap once, paint, making sure to get it thoroughly wet.

OH, I started out the day with a barrier cream like Invisible Gloves, but it disappeared quickly. Wear gloves if you must, but the dried PP comes off your skin easier than dried Matt Medium. If you still get manicures, I can't help you. Continue until the entire armature is covered.


STEP THREE:
This will set up in a few hours...but won't completely cure for several days depending on your humidity. I did a second layer of fabric out of t-shirt strips. Think a bit about how you want to dress your model. I knew I wanted a scarf of some sort, so I left long pieces of undipped t-shirt strips…one around her head, and one around her outstretched arm.




STEP FOUR:
After drying overnight, I decided to give her a dancer's skirt, partly because I thought she looked like she was wrapped in ace bandages, and because some of my body parts weren't exactly Yoga-ish. I figured a dance skirt of chiffon would drape nicely. After a long stitch on my sewing machine, I could
gather the fabric in a more controllable way. I prepped a tulle and gold mesh, and a separate chiffon skirt. I thought I would use all three, but the chiffon alone was the best choice.

I cut a 2"-ish piece of chiffon at the selvage edge so it would be smooth. I twisted and draped it BEFORE i dipped it in the transparent PP. After arranging it and securing the end, I wrapped the skirt to decide where I wanted the overlap. Then I dipped the skirt and applied it to my girl. The chiffon was pretty stiff, but as the PP set up, I could manipulate the folds. I used the end of the paintbrush, but anything will work.







Next, I had some ugly spots at the gathering of the skirt. I took some of the gold meshy tulle and wrapped a piece around her waist, leaving some tails. I measured about 36" of a 2" wide piece of the gold tulle and dipped it in PP (I left the ends uncoated for later). I cut off the t-shirt pieces from her head and arm.

Starting about 12" from one end, I wrapped the piece in a turban, and tied a knot on the right side, leaving an end to deal with later. The other long end I draped behind her head, down her left arm, over left hand and let it fall.

I have not resolved the base yet. There is a piece of wire sticking out the back of her left leg. I really like the marble tile, but she will need more support. Hubbie will help figure out the engineering...and there might be some copper wire involved.

All my social media links are HERE. I love all your comments and questions. Now, go get your hands messy. I did!

xxoo


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment