Friday, August 19, 2016

Paverpol Crocheted Bowl

Hi everyone, Steph Ackerman here today with my newest Paverpol project. Paverpol is an amazing sculpting medium that hardens whatever it coats.  Today I'm working with yarn!


I love to crochet but find I mainly create hats, scarves and blankets because my students want quick projects that are easy to do and quick to finish.  Unless you are using thick yarn and the right sized stitches, crocheting a bowl can be tricky.  More often than not, you don't end up with a sturdy bowl.


However, add some Paverpol to your crocheted piece and voila!  Since Paverpol is a fabric hardener, I was able to turn my crocheted piece into a nice sturdy bowl, perfect for holding an assortment of supplies - in this case, fabric scraps.

 
 
I placed plastic wrap around a plastic bowl.  Plastic wrap makes it much easier to remove the finished project because it sticks to the plastic wrap, not the plastic bowl.  And is easy to remove once the project has hardened.

 
Next, I placed my crocheted piece into Paverpol being sure to completely soak it.  Then, I squeezed out the excess Paverpol before proceeding.


Next, I placed my crocheted piece on the plastic wrapped bowl, smoothing it out until it fit nicely around the bowl.   I left my crocheted piece on the bowl for 2-3 days.  I wanted to be sure it was completely hardened before I removed it.  Because of the plastic wrap, the bowl was easy to take off the bowl and the plastic wrap just peeled away.


And I love it.  The basket has hardened, is sturdy and retained it shape.  It's perfect for holding my fabric scraps so I can easily find them.



What do you think?  Wouldn't these make great gifts for the upcoming holidays?

Thanks for stopping by today.

Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment